Q. What is Acne?
Acne vulgaris (AV) is a condition of the oil glands that can cause any one or a mix of the following –
- Open and closed comedones(blackheads and whiteheads)
- Inflammatory lesions (papules, pustules, and nodules)
- Varying degrees of scarring
Q. What causes Acne?
- The causes of Acne Vulgaris are complicated. Four key pathogenic processes lead to the formation of acne
- Alteration of keratinization around follicles that leads to comedones
- Increased and altered oil production under hormone (mainly androgen) control
- Infection of the follicles by Propionibacterium acnes
- Complex inflammatory mechanisms
Acne starts around adolescence when the oil glands swell up under the influence of hormones. That, coupled with the blockage of oil gland openings, creates black and white heads and red bumps. There may also be infection in these, leading to pus filled bumps, cysts and nodules. It is at this time that acne treatment should be started because these can lead to permanent scarring.
Q. How is acne treated?
Treatment of Acne Vulgaris should target all four pathogenic mechanisms.
At TWACHA, we approach Acne treatment in a holistic way –
- Medical treatment – This is the cornerstone of your acne treatment. After a careful examination, medical treatment in the form of creams, gels and sometimes tablets are prescribed. Hormonal causes are ruled out and dealt with.
- DermaClean – This TWACHA Special treatment is performed in order to extricate the black and white heads and to close the open pores.
- Chemical Peels – This method is essential to treat inflammatory and comedonal acne. Chemical Peels enhance and speed up the recovery process.
- Laser – IPL Laser treats highly inflamed lesions
- For Acne Marks – Chemical Peels like TCA and Glycolic acid work wonders for acne mark treatment
- Micro Needle radio frequency (MNRF) is a highly effective and safe way to treat acne scars
- CO2 Laser – This is used to treat deep acne pits
- Subscision and Scar Revision Surgery – This method is used to treat isolated deep pitted scars
- PRP – At TWACHA we combines Micro needling and serum infusion for enhancing collagen growth to fill up acne scars
- You can help the treatment process by vowing to avoid junk food, sweets, having 8-10 glasses of water in a day. You must stay away from OTC acne products. Your doctor will help you choose non comedogenic face cleansers, moisturizers, sunscreens and make up products too. Exercising for half an hour everyday will help you achieve your skin goals sooner.
Q. How is treatment modality determined?
Twacha has a customized approach to treatments. Treatment protocols vary according to grade and severity of the acne. Your face will be examined and a combination of the above treatments can be performed.
A number of treatments for all stages are available at Twacha. These not just help you to get rid of acne, but effectively reduce the chances of severe recurrence.